Sunday, February 23, 2014

High School Girls Basketball Comes to an End - 2014

I just started covering girls basketball games locally this January, during this short period of time I have come to a rememberance of why athletes are awesome! It doesn't matter what gender you are or for that matter what species, an ahtlete is simply just that...an athlete.

When I was studying at Idaho State University I remember frequenty discussing the changes that Title IX brought in the world of NCAA athletics back in the early 1970's. Now, I was not around to experience or see these changes first hand, but I am here now and see the positive that has brought to the sports industry. 

I watched these young women work together as teammates with the same goal in mind. Sometimes they failed but more than not they were successful in acheiveing their goals. I believe this is what sports brings into our lives. Each of us have the opportunity to experience the ups and downs on a very intimate level with those we trust and work very closely with. You don't get this kind of relationship or connection anywhere else than in athletics. To this day some of the closest relationships I have are with those I called teammates back in the day. 

This winter our small community saw all three of our cities girls basketball teams earn a berth to the state tournament. Two teams were district champions while the third was a runner-up. All three did a tremendous job over the entire season and each should hold their head high in what they accomplished. It is sad at the end of season because what was will not be again with the same group of people. To that end, I am a firm believer that with change brings great opportunity. I wish each of these athletes the best as they move on and to each their own successes in life. 

Until next season, good luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment